H. Skjalm P. opened, as a retail store, in the historic surroundings at Nikolaj Plads in 1953 by Hagbarth Skjalm Petersen and his wife Lisbeth Westergaard. Hagbarth Skjalm Petersen was an “enfant terrible” who always wanted to go his own way. The design-conscious Copenhageners quickly embraced this, and were pleased that they could always find the latest news in home textiles, applied art and kitchen utensils in the shop at Nikolaj Plads. Skjalm’s design philosophy was the creation of a “red thread” in product development, which was to focus on innovations beyond the usual. He was thus always one of the first to introduce new colors, shapes and graphic expressions.
In the early 80’s, the company started importing large quantities of designer goods from England and this was the start of a growing wholesale. In 1995 mr. Skjalm passed away and his wife Lisbeth Westergaard and the employees of H. Skjalm P. has been running the shop in his spirit. As the years have passed, H. Skjalm P. has become a recognized design brand in both Denmark and the rest of the world. Every six months, it is with pride that the latest collection is launched, a collection that still takes its starting point in the original philosophy: Scandinavian design of high quality in natural materials with color and graphic design language. In recent years, H. Skjalm P. has focused on sustainable production and organic products.